Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Language

I'm wondering how many English speakers prefer to listen to Tokio Hotel in German? I do, for the most part, but because I cannot not sing along with them, I listen to English versions. I think something gets lost in translation, although I think they do a wonderful job, because I don't think English is the easiest language to translate into, or learn, for that matter. And everything sounds better in the language it was written in.

My German is limited to Danke and Bitte...at least I'm polite. And now I could ask someone not to jump, politely, as well. I'm not so good at learning new languages, but I'm trying to learn the words to sing along in German. I've got Heilig down pretty well, except for one phrase that wasn't translated on the video that was also translated into French, so I skip that part. And most of the Zimmer concert videos I watch have Russian subtitles, since the guy who uploaded them did it in really large chuncks, without taking out all Bill's talking to the audience between songs. I have no idea what he's saying...but it's not that important to know the words. Watching sometimes is enough.

I'm usually in the car when I'm singing or, rarely, at the computer, so I don't have the liner notes in front of me (I'm forbidden from singing out loud in the house, because it's embarrassing to some....I think I sound pretty good...not sure what the problem is.) Since the drive to work is almost 40 minutes (or if I'm lucky and have to go to the wind farm, an hour and a half each way of pure TH bliss) I get through most of Zimmer 483 and most of Scream on a daily basis.

I've noticed that I've started singing in both languages on the some songs...only if it's in English can I sing some of the German words...kind of like having multiple personalities.

And when I sing in English...I mimic Bill's pronounciation of words, so I sound like someone who speaks German speaking English with an accent. When I sing German though, it just sounds like a bad Wisconsin accent (which I hate) mangling words, not cute at all. You'd think I'd be able to channel some of my German DNA, but sadly, no luck. Only got the fair skin and stubborn attitude, but no ability to sprechen Sie Deutches
.

At my last job, I could listen to music so I had Youtube running constantly. I had turned up the volume louder one day, and someone came out of their office, all alarmed and said, "I'm hearing voices in my office, and I think they're singing in German." Yeah...one of those tricks of acoustics.

Although I'm always hearing voices, and most the time they are singing in German...even when I'm not listening to anything. And I'm not alarmed at all... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment