Saturday, October 31, 2009

My First Complaint ...

I don't think I've ever complained about Tokio Hotel before...pretty much everything they do is okay by me...but...

I really wish the 2 CD set of Humanoid sold in the U.S. had liner notes with the German lyrics. I know enough German now (that's what happens when you get obsessed with a German band; had it been the Jonas Brot...wait, I don't even want to finish that thought) that when I read the lyrics I know more or less what they are saying. I still can't understand enough of the spoken/sung to understand ...

But, in listening obsessively to the German and then English versions, and trying to learn the German, I've come to realize I'm really hearing totally different songs in most cases (even with my poor understanding of spoken German...or sung in this case).

And I know that they don't do a word for exact word for each song, and that's fine. But for some of them (Hey Du/Hey You and Lass Uns Laufen/Behind My Wall) the meanings are totally different. Hey Du with "Kleiner Android" is a pretty dead giveaway since "android" is the same in English and German, at least the spelling, and the pronunciation is easy to figure out.

SO...I've written reviews of songs that will be totally different depending on the language the reader listens to...which bothers me. Not because I feel cheated, but because I feel I'm not doing my best work in writing reviews based on understanding only one version of the song.

I have so much to learn ...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you should feel cheated nor that you weren't doing a good work - you did an excellent job reviewing their songs! Of course you aren't German and you don't speak German, and you were reviewing what you knew...the German lyrics are different, yes, but the essence remains.
    There's just one song totally different: Love and Death, but each of them is TH soul and TH heart, so...
    No worries Carol, it's great to find new things each day...

    And our boys won EMA's Best Group :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete